Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tico Tuesday, July 21st


Happy Tuesday!
Yes, this is a picture of a girl you don't know leaning over a rock that is actually a sculpted head. But what I'd like you to take note of is the dog that is in the left side of the picture. This is another one of those pictures that I took as a student here and ended up inadvertently capturing a cultural difference. There are stray dogs all over the place (especially near the meat shops). Some people have dogs as pets, but pets aren't near as common here as they are in the States. And there is no Bob Barker telling everyone to get their pets spayed or neutered, so the little dudes can reproduce themselves too. (If you don't know who Bob Barker is or recognize that famous line I'm very sorry you never got to enjoy the gameshow "The Price is Right." I enjoyed it best with graham crackers, a smiley cup of milk and Grammy.)
So, there is a tico moment and a childhood memory for you! Have a blessed week!
Carrie

Oops. I realize I didn't post again this past week. I had every intention of doing so, but between being busy, enjoying my 2nd 500+ page Frank Peretti book, and technological complications at home I neglected to post. I'll tell you I've started my Perspectives on the World Missions Movement class I mentioned a couple months ago and it is FANTASTIC!! The readings are GREAT! I was a little nervous about the class, since I'm getting graduate credit for it through some seminary, but it has yet to prove itself to be as hard as any class at Grove City. I hope to include soon some of my thoughts and comments on what I've read as well as cool things I've learned. And I will start highly recommending this class now. (You don't have to take it for credit). Check it out! http://www.perspectives.org/site/pp.aspx?c=eqLLI0OFKrF&b=2806295

I'll share one cool thing now while I'm talking about it. Jesus frequently referred to Himself as the Son of Man (and that name is mentioned an awful lot in Ezekiel and Daniel). In Hebrew, Son of man is ben Adam. I get 2 things out of this. 1- that Jesus as the Son of Man (and not the Son of David or anybody else) shows Himself to be the Savior for the WHOLE world and not just Israel. I think we have a pretty good grasp on the fact that Jesus died for everyone and not just Israelites, but the Israelites had a harder time with that. 2- This makes Paul's parallels about Adam and Jesus even more powerful. The whole "Since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead" Second Adam thing (see Handel's Messiah....or 1 Corinthians 15). I love getting to study the Bible more!

No comments: