Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tico Tuesday, July 28th

Happy Tuesday!

Surprised that you haven't heard me talk much about futbol (soccer)? Well, for one thing it's not futbol season here right now. And, soccer isn't that big a deal in my (Honduran) family. Futbol doesn't run in the blood of all latinos as you might think (just most ;-). It is still wicked popular though.

This past Saturday my church sponsored a futbol tournament that we used as an evangelistic activity. We were given free time at the local semi-indoor canchas and had 4 teams of guys come to play. Halfway through we had a talk from Richard Smith, a famous Christian tico ex-futbolista that scored 2 goals against Mexico in a really famous game. He shared about the transformational power of Christ in one's life and how only He can truly satisfy our hearts. I think 14 of the guys “prayed the prayer” along with him to receive Christ and start a relationship with Him. We are hoping to follow up with them and get them involved with our youth group. Please join me in praying for these new believers!


Update for those of you who are wondering how I'm doing re: the homesickness I talked about in my last post. Well, it got worse before it got better. Thursday I was seriously lacking motivation for anything and was just tired and frustrated and still really missing my loved ones in the US. But, a good night's sleep, a weekend (with minimal time spent at church), and some good conversations helped. I want to say it was a relaxing weekend,and I guess it was. it was also very busy. Saturday morning was the soccer tournament, in the afternoon I went to chorus for the first time. I am joining a chorus here because I am not involved in anything outside of church and I need to get outside the bubble. I like it so far. Interestingly enough the pieces we worked on are all sacred (a brief mass, a spiritual, and a pretty Ps 23- in Latin, English and English, respectively), but it is definitely a secular bunch of people. Saturday evening was relaxing and wonderful and I went to bed at about 10pm. :)

Sunday I went to church in the morning with Abuelita (Dona Ruth). The service was quite long because there were a lot of special announcements and blessings and prayers. I don't think it's ever a good idea for pastors to say they are going to try to make the sermon as short as possible. But, that's ok. I ended up going to the poorly publicized baptism. We had a really sweet, simple ceremony and I got to be the photographer (look for pics in the soon-coming Chronicle). Sunday afternoon I got to relax and do laundry and at night I went out with my "siblings" and a few friends. I have never had more fun at a McDonald's before! I got a Happy Meal and had a blast playing with my flip-head dinosaur (it has an angry head and a happy head) from Ice Age 3. Who knew that a dinosaur could make me laugh so much? I was really hyper and kind of helped our table pull a few stares from fellow patrons. But really I think it was just me releasing stress. I needed to laugh a lot and have fun with people here. And now people here know just how crazy I really am.... ;-) I think they weren't totally frightened off. That makes me happy. So, yeah. I am doing better. I will continue to miss my family, friends, and home church, but I know God will give me the contentment I need, for He is my Rock and He alone can satisfy my every longing and need.

1 comment: