Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Missing Grace

A wave of homesickness just crashed over me. I would say ever since I got back from Courtney's wedding in the States I have felt totally comfortable and at home here. This is my life. I live in Costa Rica. I have friends, adoptive families, a church, a great home, and easy access to Heredia and San Jose. I am used to speaking Spanish all the time (and love it!) and feel kind of weird when I'm with a lot of other gringos. I went to a chapel service at the Language Institute on the other side of San Jose last week and it was the first time I'd worshiped in English since I was last at Grace Anglican Church (Grace/GAC), my church home in Slippery Rock, PA. It was kind of weird, but it was nice. It did make me miss Grace though.
So what made me homesick? Multiple e-mails from close friends in the States and some REAL physical mail that brought tears to my eyes. My Spanish professor sent me a cute little magnet reminding me to be me. (That's another story for another day. I find myself identifying with latinos more and more and with gringos less and less and I don't want to take that too far.) I also got a big envelope with a lot of love in it from a good friend from GAC. My friend is a fellow Grove City alum and a teacher at the little Christian school in Grove City. We have spent some wonderful time cooking and talking together. And like my mother (stellar compliment!!!), she is really good at asking me questions and getting me to process important things.
This dear friend (one of my many Megans) had me share in her class in the Christian school about Costa Rica and what I was going to do here. I sent the class a postcard a while ago and in the envelope from Megan were homemade postcards from each of the students! They have some pretty impressive artwork on the front (one with a map that excludes Nicaragua, one with a great baseball field, and a couple with some nice palm trees) and really sweet stuff on the back, asking me good questions about life here and tellling me what they are learning in school and that they pray for me every week. What a blessing!
There was also a lovely card from Megan-and this was the icing on the cake-she included an article on my pastor/rector Ethan that appeared in the diocesan newsletter! I was so happy to see the picture of this man of God through whom I have learned and grown SO MUCH!! The article included parts of his testimony I hadn't heard before and just warmed the cockles of my heart (as he would put it). The quote from is article that is most sobresaliente (excellent/outstanding) and summarizes well what he does is-
"It seems so completely obvious now, but I had forgotten along the way that Christianity is about what Christ has done for us, no what we could do for Christ."
Amen and AMEN!! And that is what Ethan has made church and all his sermons about. We are broken people covered by God's grace. He loves us as we are and uses us in spite of and even because of ourselves. It is not about living a life of holiness and doing good things to please God. it is about loving Him with all we are. If we are walking with Him and letting Him have our way in us, the good works will come all by themselves. There is nothing we can do to pull ourselves up and make ourselves beter in God's eyes. It is about the simple truth of the Gospel, God's love poured out for us on the cross, taking our sin and punishment upon Himself that we might be redeemed by Jesus and reconciled to God.
Unfortunately, too many churches (including my church here in Costa Rica and most of the others I have been to) are too caught up in being relevant and telling us how to apply the Bible to our lives and be good Christians. Really, the Gospel is the most relevant thing out there and it is so much more powerful than principles for a holy life. The Gospel is what changes our lives, and it is for everyone and it is to be taught and heard over and over again. That is what makes Ethan's sermons so good. He can start with any passage and ALWAYS bring it back to the Gospel. Sound boring-hearing the Gospel every week? AU CONTRAIRE!!! I love it! I thirst for it when I don't get it (we'll say I've been getting pretty darn thirsty here). It is the most beautiful, renewing, exciting, glorious thing! It is all about God! NOT us! That is so refreshing and peace-giving! There is no need for us to impose law upon ourselves once more. We are no longer under the law! We are free to love and obey Christ with all that He has made us to be.
So, yeah. I got some great encouragement today. I miss Grace like crazy (as well as my friends and family). But God is good. He is at work here. This is where I'm supposed to be. May He continue to guide me and fulfill His purpose for me. And if you have any responses, questions or comments regarding anything I've said today I would be delighted to e-mail or Skype with you about it. God's peace, grace, and joy be with you.

No comments: