Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tico Tuesday, October 12th

Green Bananas

Yep, we have banana plants in our back yard! Bananas are one of the major exports of Costa Rica, but we do keep some here for ourselves too. I've had multiple people tell me

that the bananas we export are so big they aren't as sweet and tasty. I'm not sure I agree with that. You think green bananas aren't good for anything but sitting around until they become yellow? Not true, my friends!! You can cut them into thin slices and fry them and eat them like chips, you can cut them into fatter chunks, fry them, smush them and then fry them again (they're called patacones), you can put them in soup, and

you can cook them with a little bit of salt to soothe your stomach. I'm not sure if I'd be so adventurous as to try any of this with green bananas in the States since they are so close to being ripe. But, if you give it a try, let me know how it goes!

Have a great rest of the week!

Carrie


Sorry, nothing much new to report here. Well, actually I have news to report, but you'll be getting another e-mail soon about that. I'm been staying busy, getting lots of exercise, and enjoying the last few days with Tia before she heads out. Tio Samuel, Abuelita's brother was here for almost 2 weeks after Abuelita passed away. He was really cool, a really really sweet guy. I have now met 2 of Abuelita's siblings- Tia

Nena came in April to visit. It's really neat seeing the similarities in the family, not only among Abuelita and her siblings, but also seeing the difference between don Jorge (the Dad of the family I live with), Tia Hortencia (the aunt that has been here), and Henoc, Abuelita's oldest son that I met over Skype. I think families are so fascinating! I love seeing my extended family members and being able to tell that we are related! Whether that be by physical traits or family mannerisms. It's great!

Ok, I'd write more but it's late and I need to get up early!

No comments: