Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tico Tuesday, October 26th

I 'm starting to feel like the mall here is a little bit like Wal-Mart in Auburn, ME-- you can't go there without seeing somebody you know! On Sunday, (a particularly busy day at the mall) I ran into the people my friend Albeiro lives with, a man I know from CCI, and …. the man in this picture and his wife!!! I was walking around with my friend Vivi and another friend when all of a sudden this woman took my shoulder and asked me what my name was. I told her and looked at her and the man beside her. The light clicked on – they were my host parents when I was a student here in 2007! I couldn't believe it! I'd always meant to call them and let them know I was here again, but somehow it never got to be a priority. Oops!! I'll be calling them soon so we can catch up!!!
More stories about my time as a student here on the blog!
Have a great rest of the week!
Carrie

I spent the spring semester of my jr year studying here in Costa Rica. Some of you might remember that. It was when I first started all these mass communications to people to let them know about my life. I was the only Grover and only 1 one 8 girls in the program. Most of the rest of my classmates were from the U of Illinois. And there were only 2 guys. That was interesting! I started with one host family and then switched to live with Imelda and Johnny. They were really nice to me and I think they appreciated how much I respected them. They have 2 kids that live nearby and 3 adorable grandkids. Josué was 9 (or was he 7?) while I was there. Oh man, I hope I get to see my little buddy again!! He was so great! I still have a picture we drew together. It was the sweetest thing. It was the best example of together I could think of. I'd draw something, he'd add to it, he'd draw something and have me color it in, I'd draw a tree, he'd draw a bush next to it. So adorable!!! I'll have to find my other pictures of the house. Imelda loves plants and has about 100 hanging plants (mostly orchids) in the covered in back patio. It is absolutely gorgeous. It is like a private garden café with a perfect spot in the corner for somebody to stand and play a guitar. Imelda is an amazing artist-not only does she garden, she does cool stuff with aluminum on wood, decorating candles, amazing beadwork and jewelry, glass-painting, and other things that I can't remember. I always enjoyed talking with her while she worked at some project. She made me a really pretty necklace with a piece of glass as the pendant. It has a heart painted on it and still gets compliments every time I wear it. Ahh, good times. Living with Imelda and Johnny was really nice. But, I'm very happy here with the Viera's. I feel more at-home here and it's nicer to be here because Imelda and Johnny go to bed at about 8pm.... :-) Speaking of bedtime....

No comments: