Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tico Tuesday, August 2nd

Happy Tuesday!
Here in Costa Rica I'm enjoying having some extra days off – we get Mother's Day off a week from Monday, we had today off because it the the Day of Our Lad
y of the Angels, the patron saint of Costa Rica. And we had last Monday off as well because of the Annexation of Guanacaste, Costa Rica's northwestern province that decided it preferred belonging to Costa Rica instead of Nicaragua. We celebrated the day at our last-Friday-of-the-month breakfast/party/birthday celebration. Everyone from the office brought a different kind of typical food, some of us wore sort of “traditional” wear and we had lots of fun making up and reciting “bombas” - a traditional kind of 4 line poem about daily life. Many of them are about love and romance, but they can really be about anything. For one activity we had to write “bombas” for the birthday girl. Some people are really good at making them up! I memorized 4 to say during the party. Head to the blog if you'd like to see them and their translations – and make sure to look at the pictures I posted on facebook!

Enjoy the rest of this week!

Love,

Carrie


When I was on Isla Venado, doña Epi and pastor Eladio's grandchildren were all memorizing bombas to say at school the next day when they were going to celebrate the Annexation of Guanacaste. I had no idea how I was going to find bombas to say at the party on Friday, so I quick copied down a few so I could participate in the party.

El bejuco cuando nace

nace hojita por hojita

Así comienza el amor

Palabrita por palabrita

When the plant (generally like a Tarzan swing kind of plant) sprouts

It sprouts leaf by leaf

That is how love begins

word by word


Yo soy el que siempre he sido

y nunca dejaré de ser

Yo soy el pajarillo

que canta al amanecer

I am the one I have always been

and will never cease to be

I am the little bird

that sings at sunrise


Vos no podés negar

que yo tengo mis razones

Cuando uno quita la piedra

se acaban los tropezones

You can't deny

that I'm right

When one takes the stone away

the chance to stumble is no more


Ay mamita

qué zancudero

bajate el toldo

porque me muero

Holy cow

what a bunch of mosquitoes

Let down the cover

because I'm dying


So, there's a little piece of Costa Rican culture for you. (Translations mine) :-)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Carrie,

This is such a neat part of Costa Rican culture! I'm laughing at the one about the mosquitos . . .

I hope you are "catching some rays"-- Hope to talk to you soon!

~Michelle~