Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tico Tuesday, August 30th

Friday I participated in 3 very different, but fun, special birthday celebrations. And had 3 different yummy cakes at each one. Chocolate at 2 out of 3 wasn't bad!! Especially considering chocolate isn't as popular down here. In the morning at work, we had our usual last-Friday-of-the-month party and celebrated my supervisor Pam's birthday (and it was on the actual day too!) and Margarita's birthday. Margarita is another missionary with the LAM. She has been here for close to 40 years and is an amazing woman! After work, I shared the devotional with some parents from the Bible Home (another story for another day-maybe on the blog this weekend) and went to a surprise 50th birthday dinner for don William, who I have adopted as my "tico dad." It was sweet and he was surprised. Then, at about 10 I got home and a few people came over to celebrate Hazel and Samuel's birthdays. (Hazel is the one with me in the picture) That was a rather brief party, but I was ok with it. I was exhausted!
Then, last night we had a special little birthday party at the Nido house at the Bible Home. I got to be there because it was translation night for the volunteers. We had each child say something to the birthday girl-that was really sweet. And then Papi Gerardo, the substitute father had us sing every version of Happy Birthday to her we could-even in English! I hadn't done that in a while! It actually felt really good, even though some of the kids were singing "Sapo verde" (it's a pronunciation joke, don't stress if you don't get it though). Then, he told us how she never talked for her first 4 months at the Bible Home. She is still a quiet girl, but now she even participates in dramas and speaks in public! Praise God for the life of this precious young woman!
May we all enjoy the life that God has given us!
Love,
Carrie

No comments: