Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tico Tuesday, March 25th

 Happy Tuesday!
As I mentioned last week, Wednesday, March 19th, was my 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY of missionary service here in Costa Rica! That was a few pounds, much lighter skin, 3 jobs, and several lifetimes ago! But you know a really cool thing? The other girl in this picture? I went to her wedding last year, and I was at a baby shower for her this past weekend! Still friends! We don't see each other or talk very often, but Ana Luisa is still a very sweet, loving sister-in-Christ with whom I feel comfortable and really enjoy spending time.
Anyway, 5 years. That's the second longest I've ever lived anywhere. Maine: 7. Pennsylvania made it to about 4.5, but I was never there during summers, so that didn't really count. Therefore, Costa Rica is in 2nd place after Maine!
When I first came down here, I honestly thought I knew it all. I thought the cultural differences between here and the US weren't that significant. I thought machismo (Male superiority/putting down of women) was practically dead here. Oh how little I actually knew! The arrogance and ignorance of youth! And I still have much, much more to learn.
Above all, I give thanks and praise to God for all he has done in me. I trust he has worked through me as well, but I can testify primarily to my own life and the incredible transformations he has brought about. I could go on about that for a very long time, but will save that for later!
May God continue to do his transforming work in each of our lives and make us more like him every day!
Carrie

No comments: