Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tico Tuesday, July 1st

Lots of strong emotions...
As you may have heard, Costa Rica is currently making history in this year's World Cup. We made it to the quarterfinals!!! We have never made it this far before, and I tell you, it is so amazing to be part of this! I had to buy myself a "Sele" (short name for our national selection) shirt...and another flag since I gave mine to Jessica. Sele paraphernelia is everywhere. The celebration of our victory over Greece on Sunday was so amazing. I was at a restaurant, and found myself hugging the people around me I'd never met before. Not long after our winning penalty shot went in the net, a worker from the restaurant had us stop and respectfully sing the national anthem of Costa Rica. It was a phenomenal moment. Ticos are so proud of their country, and it was so special to see them pause the madness and honor their great country. It is typical for everyone to take to the streets after a (big) win. People with cars honk and wave flags, people on foot cheer and wave at all who go by. I also saw a shirtless man on top of a bus... Anyway, it was so much fun honking my horn all the way home!
Sadly, the USA got eliminated today, but more sad for me is that my dear friend Jessica, who has been like a sister to me for the last 15 months, has moved back to the States. Her 2 year teaching contract ended and she chose not to renew it. I'm very sad, but I had the opportunity to do some journaling about it on Sunday night and that helped a lot. I know this is an opportunity to strengthen my relationship with God and a good reminder that I need to trust him fully to take care of me and provide for my relational/emotional needs (and all the others as wel.l) I do appreciate your prayers in this time of grieving and transition though. God hears and answers them!
More to come in an upcoming Chronicle!
God's peace and joy be with you throughout this week!
Carrie

No comments: