Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Best Things in Life are Free

Last night we had a girls night out. Jules, my friend Laura's roomie is getting married in December and wanted to celebrate. So, we went to Teton Village for a tasty but overpriced dinner and some fun. After dinner, the plan was to ride up the gondola and have champaign and s'mores at the top-though I think most of us were going to go without the champaign. So we went over to where they sell gondola tickets and it was locked. I was disappointed and feared we would not be able to go. But we kept faith and went to the gondola and ask the attendant about tickets. He told us that we were lucky- it was free!! The computer was down or broken or something and they couldn't charge us. WAHOO!!! So we got to save $12 each and enjoy the beautiful romantic ride in the gondola. And just to clarify if you are thinking the kind of gondola you find in Italy, that's not what I'm talking about. Gondolas in this neck of the woods are like enclosed ski lift boxes. We got to the top and the place that did s'mores was closed. Apparently business was slow and it had closed early. We were a little bummed, but after a fun photo shoot with silly poses we went to the grocery store and got some super Ben n Jerry's S'mores ice cream. Unfortunately that wasn't free, but it was delicious and worth it!!
The trip home was gorgeous. There was some fog down by the Snake River and the almost full moon was shining on the mountains and they looked as if they were glowing. It was so beautiful! I wish you could have seen it!

A few other free things I have enjoyed lately
-Sleeping in my wonderful bed! (housing here is technically free-though I do have to pay $60/week for food and employee activities)
-Church!!!
-Kayaking and hiking
-The mountains looking like a cutout in front of the clear blue sky
-The bike my friend Steve gave me when he left
-Keeping in touch over e-mail with my friends in the US and Costa Rica
-The grace of God
-Skype (computer to computer it is free! E-mail me if you want my username)
-Amazing backrubs and Mexican food from Rosalinda
-Driving to Colter Bay in company cars on the clock (well, I guess that's not really free-I get paid for it!)
-Did I mention sleeping in my sweet bed yet? With clean sheets? And 2 pillows? And Zippy and Cuddles? Mmm, yeah. It's bedtime. G'night!

1 comment:

Smitti said...

Ya know, bein' a scrimey Yankee IS a genetic family trait...you're at least the fifth generation to savor the sweetness of a penny saved (let alone $12 !!!)

LOVE,
Dad