Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Change and Riches

Wow, it’s September! Fall has definitely arrived in the Tetons. On Monday there was fresh snow at the higher elevations! And some of the leaves are already starting to change! The evenings and mornings are quite chilly and there have actually been a lot of clouds in the sky! It’s easy to let it depress me and have a bad attitude about it. I really feel like I’ve had enough of winter. After living in Maine for so long and then being in Northwestern PA near the snow belt, I am really ok with never seeing snow again. And I can tend to get depressed when I can’t see the sun. But there is much more to life than weather.
The coming of fall is simply another transition I must go through. I was talking with my friend Alex at breakfast the other morning (the younger of the 2 Honduran Alexes that are here) and I decided that life is just a big series of transitions. Example-I was a student for the past 17 years-and now I’m not anymore! A lot of my friends started school again last week and it is just strange to not be there studying with them!
And because I’m not a student anymore, I’m still here in the Tetons. Things are changing here too-I already mentioned the weather above, but all the college kids are gone now and all the foreign students (my Turkish friends, the Ukrainians, Bulgarians etc) are leaving soon too. The dynamics are different this time of the season.
But, I know that in the midst of all the change “Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever!” Amen! I knew that was the truth, but forgot it was straight out of the Bible (Hebrews 13:8) until I happened to read it the other week. How comforting it is to have a Rock that never changes!
And He’s not just a Rock. He had been reminding me lately of his abundance and how He lavishes His love on me. I don’t know if it’s because I grew up as a thrifty little New England girl or what, but I often forget how rich and full God is and how He just pours out his love, mercy, grace and forgiveness. Ephesians is one of my favorite books of the Bible because it talks about these exact things.; “every spiritual blessing” “God’s grace that he lavish on us in all wisdom and understanding” “the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.” It’s just wonderful! May God's riches abound in all our lives!

No comments: