Saturday, September 6, 2008

You're just so far away...

I'm not married, so I really can't understand. I would like to think though, that when I'm married I wouldn't be able to imagine leaving my husband (and children if and when I have them) to go work in another country. But, there are so many people here who have done just that! I only know of one gringa who has done it-but among the foreign employees, it is shockingly common. I can't evening imagine what it would be like to leave my family and go work my tail off in another country, over a thousand miles away. A lot of them talk every day with their family, but I'm not sure that makes it any easier.
The other day I was asking my friend Malta about her family and she started to tell me about her kids. Upon mentioning her 5 year old daughter and she started to tear up and before I knew it she had disappeared to recollect herself. Oh man! I almost wished I hadn't asked.
Another example: Earlier this week there was an employee art sale. A whole bunch of my coworkers put their pictures, needlepoint, jewelry and other pieces of handiwork on displayfor the guests and other employees to admire and purchase. I got there towards the very end when most of it was already cleared away. My friend Jose popped in and asked if I know who had been selling the jewelry. He wanted to buy a necklace and matching earrings for his wife. Thinking I might know her I asked him, "Who's your wife?" But his response was, "Oh, she's in Mexico." Oh. Oops.
So, there is this part of me that says, "No way! I could never leave my family-or let my husband leave us, no matter how bad the economic situation!!!" How could I be separated from my media naranja, my other half? But if we had no money, were starving and our country was still trying to recover from a hurricane that happened 10 years ago, I just might start to consider it.
I don't know. I just can't put myself in their shoes right now. And even once I am married (whenever that happens), I don't think I will be able to really understand. Is it really such an ultimatum? Stay with family and be miserable and possibly die or leave family and be miserable but feel like you're taking care of them? Yes, God is the Ultimate Provider and he takes care of His children. But we can't just expect money, food and shelter to magically appear. It happens. But that's not how God works every time. So, the issue remains. Unfortunately I believe it will be around for a while.
In the meantime, may God continue to meet our needs and may He be with those who are far away--from each other and from Him.

No comments: