Thursday, July 7, 2011

Learning to Love

Have you ever been in a Bible study or read something that encouraged you to read 1 Corinthians 13 and stick your name in all the places that say "love?" Carrie is patient. Carrie is kind. She does not boast, is not proud, rude, self-seeking, does not envy, etc?? Jajaja! I sure can't make it through without laughing! Me, patient? Who are we kidding? Me, kind? I like to think so. Doesn't boast and isn't proud? Hmm, you must not know me too well. I think inserting my name there is one of the best ways to show me how NOT loving I am. I think that is part of the purpose of the exercise. But here's the thing:
On the one hand, it is WONDERFUL to know that I'm not perfect and still have a VERY long ways to go, and that God still loves me and forgives me in spite of that. I have come to adore confession and acknowledging my total brokenness, depravity and desperate need for God.
On the other hand, what an awesome way to make myself look like a total failure and feel guilty about myself! This is so not what life is about! It is impossible for any of us to have that perfect love and try as we may, we will never be able to love like that on our own strength! We will continue to NOT be long-suffering, delighters in truth who always protect, trust, hope and persevere. God IS love and is the only One capable of loving in the way that Paul writes about. (And there's the whole context thing which people always leave out. This is the climax of the book with a whole bunch of instructions for believers and how they should live their lives together). He is the standard for love and the way we live our lives. So, what do I think we should do instead of putting our own names in there in the place of "love?" Insert the name of the One who IS love. Jesus is patient, kind, keeps no record of wrongs, does not rejoice in evil and will never, ever fail. Hallelujah!

O Lord make me more like You!

No comments: