Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tico Tuesday, July 19th

Do you ever get jealous of me and my missionary life? I live in a beautiful, tropical country and serve children and families who come from slums built into beautiful hillsides. Do you ever wish you could serve God more/better or be more involved in something "for God?"
If so, I invite you to read the following quote I received in an InterVarsity alumni e-mail. If not, that's ok, and I encourage you to keep reading anyway.
"If a vocation represents a call of God to serve him in the world, then that vocation is sacred because it comes from God. It therefore makes no sense to speak of a secular vocation; such a phrase is a contradiction in terms. A vocation, because it comes from God, is sacred." (Gordon T. Smith)
So, please, don't belittle your current occupation/line of work. You can do accounting, nursing, teaching, engineering, sales and a whole lot of "boring paperwork" all for the glory of God right there where God has placed you. I think He likes us to "bloom where we're planted." Not to downplay missions - but rather I say this to you to remind you that the Great Commission doesn't just apply to "vocational missionaries." Sharing God's love and truth is the responsibility of all who claim to follow Christ and we all have vitally important roles that God has given us! So, let's stick close to the Head Gardener and bloom wherever He puts us!
Love,
Carrie

No comments: