Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tico Tuesday, July 5th

Yesterday was one of the more interesting 4th of Julys I've had recently. The last time I celebrated the 4th in the States with other gringos was in Jackson, WY in 2008. Pretty crazy, huh? Well, yesterday there was an Independence Day shindig here in Costa Rica! If you didn't know, there is quite the gringo population here in Costa Rica, I just don't live too near to most of it. So yes, here in Costa Rica we had square dancers, a 4th of July parade (shortest one ever, I'm pretty sure), a flag-raising ceremony and fireworks to celebrate our independence in a country that is quite dependent on the US in many ways. Fascinating irony! It was fun though. I hung out with Pam and Nelly and Pam's family. We had a really good time. And there were big yummy burgers from Outback for $4. The 4th is always a bit nostalgic, but I enjoy getting to celebrate it each year. More on the blog. Looks for pics on fb!
Love,
Carrie

I'm pretty sure I blogged about this. I know I have. I LOVED celebrating July 4th when I was little because Grammy loved it and the celebration they do in Falmouth, Massachusetts is superchiva- really cool! The Falmouth Militia, flags, the booming salutes to each of the 13 colonies, biking by Surf Drive, picnicking, family games, blueberries, dessert and of course, fireworks. I miss it. Maybe I'll get to go back, some day. It's not the same without Grammy though (she passed away 10 years ago this year. The anniversary is next month). So, the nostalgia and sentimentality are greater. It was fun to be at a 4th of July fireworks presentation again though. And I came home and flipped back and forth between the fireworks in NY and Boston. I loved the shots over Fenway!! Thank God for freedom and may freedom soon come to those who don't have it!

No comments: