Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tennis & Faith

What do Venus Williams and Rafa Nadal have to do with faith? Watching them makes me have to exercise it! Maybe this seems trite, but I was surprised at the spiritual connection when I realized it. I love watching tennis. Not only do it I enjoy it because I find it fascinating and entertaining, but it is also a fun chance to spend time with my mom (and one of my brothers) when we are hundreds and hundreds of miles apart. We used to always do it together (I can still remember the legs and bodies all over our couch in the den in Maine quite vividly) and I like being able to be together (even though we're apart at the same time).
Anyway, Wimbledon ended today. One incredible match I got to see part of earlier in the tournament was Venus Williams vs Kimiko Date-Krum (I hope I got that right). Venus was very close to losing the 1st set when I had to leave to go to work. I was very discouraged for her. I was trying to be optimistic, but it was really hard to keep the faith for her. I learned my lesson when I got a chance to check the match results later in the day and was shocked when I saw the Venus won!! She still lost the 1st set, though not when I'd anticipated. She got it to go to a tiebreak.
Today I watched Rafa Nadal take on Novak Djokovic. Set 1 all is can say is lucky break (Djokovic won it). Set 2, I never should have gone to shower because Djokovic broke Rafa while I wasn't watching and was up 3-0. But I came back and again, it was hard to keep the faith. Now, yes, I think there is a line between faith and blind, almost thoughtless, optimism. But, having learned from Venus, I kept the faith in Rafa. I know he doesn't need me. He can't hear me. He doesn't even know I exist. but, I believed he could win. I'd seen him win many times in the past, I saw Venus pull off a great win against the Japanese girl. I clearly have no control over the matter. So, what can I do? Enjoy the match! Believe in my player's capabilities. Be optimistic, but realistic. I try to think what the player must be thinking and how he or she might be strategizing. If I can just win this game, if I can just hold my serve... But my conclusion is that it comes down to- I have to win this point. I just have to win this point. I have to win this one and the next one, and the next one. I can't dwell on the past, but I can learn from it. Now, I'm going to try to win this point.
And I think many life lessons can be pulled from this. Mainly: I can, and desperately need to, have faith and not give in, even when things look bleak. I can recognize my lack of control in life, and trust my God, who has control and already has everything worked out. I can be optimistic, yet realistic. And I can enjoy the ride, with my brother's long legs on my lap and my mom's and my curly "attack hairs" (we call them) left all over the couch when the match is over. Long live Wimbledon and let's keep up the faith!

No comments: