Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tico Tuesday, October 2nd

Happy Tuesday once again, dear family and friends!
I'm not sure if you remember me raving about how wonderful our AWANA Missions Day was last year, but it was truly one of the highlights. This past weekend was this year's Missions Day, and it did not disappoint! This year, our Sparkies club did Austria. One of our leaders and her husband made a fantastic informational video, one of our Sparks girls did an interpretive dance with a couple leaders to a missionsy song, and 5 of us leaders (with some help earlier in the evening with a few other leaders) spent The Whole Night Friday making our Austrian castle display. I hadn't been that sleep-deprived, since coming back from Austria with my mom in May! The moral of the story: have a sketch of what's going to be on the outside AND inside of the display before the time comes to start putting the stand together!
This is also helping me learn more about tico culture too, though. I still haven't quite figured this out, but there is something about ticos and incredible excellence/perfectionism/detail. Seriously, I think they even outdo elementary education majors at Grove City College. Having grown up in a practical Yankee home being what I would consider a rather practical not-many-frills gal, these things are quite foreign to me, and create some tension inside. Not that I don't believe in excellence or details at all, but not always to this extent. (The cool thing about all the time and little details that went into our display is that looked superb! Russia and Romania looked really good too, but I'm a bit biased...) Anyway, all the work is worth it 100% for the kids at the Bible Home. I'm happy to sacrifice a night of sleep for them to learn, grow and have an enjoyable experience.
I invite you to head to facebook for more pictures of our lovely stand, my amazing fellow leaders, and some of my sweetie pies!
May we all share God's love with those around us, this week and always!
Love,
Carrie

No comments: