Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tico Tuesday, April 9th

It's Tuesday again already? Wow!
Friday I had the honor of being invited to the birthday dinner for one of my "nieces" in the Jardin house. (We say I'm like the aunt there since I spend so much time there). She is a wicked adorable little thing. Her brother lives in the house next door, a house of 10 boys. She yearns with all her heart to spend more time with her brother, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to send her over to the all boy house and inviting her brother over happens from time to time, but isn't something that can happen every day. As painful as it may be, we have our reasons for separating siblings. Her brother came over with his house dad (who plays the guitar) and another boy with some kind of percussion instrument and they sang her "Happy Birthday." It was really sweet, but she had a little meltdown when her brother gave her a birthday hug and a tiny little plastic bag with a few pieces of candy in it. My heart broke, again. Yes, birthdays are supposed to be happy. But how can it be when you can't spend much time with your brother, your mom gets a new lesbian partner every few months and is married to some guy she doesn't really know because your father forced her to, you have other relatives in jail (I think), and in spite of your mother's wacky life, you love her dearly but only get to see her once a week? My brave little love was able to overcome her tears though and enjoy her special fried chicken dinner. Here at the Bible Home, she has been learning to trust in Jesus and know that he will take care of her and her family. And I guess fried chicken always makes for a good distraction. But, man, if I were in her shoes, I'm sure I would have cried too.
Today at the Bible Home, we dedicated ourselves to praying for the children and families that we serve here. Whether it's still Tuesday for you or not, will you please join in praying for "the least of these" that we serve at the Bible Home?
Thank you!
Carrie

PS Confession: The picture isn't of this sweetie's birthday, but my friend Ivannia's (the house mom) a couple weeks ago. I made her a Boston Creme Pie to celebrate her making it over the hill!

No comments: