Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tico Tuesday, April 2nd

A surprising gift
Yesterday at work, my office door (which opens immediately to the outside) blew shut and I didn't bother to open it again. But then I saw someone approaching, and the next thing I knew, Magaly was standing on the bench outside the office and her face was peering in the window at me. Note: this is the Magaly adopted by doña Magali the director of the Bible Home, not doña Magali herself! Magaly was in my cabin at camp both this year and last year. This year, I could easily see how she has matured over the past 12 months! That was really beautiful. Anyway, I opened the door for Magaly, and there she was with this beautifully painted, heavy rock in her hands! I was so touched! She told me how she hadn't been sure who to give it to, and her mom advised her to give it to someone she owed a thank you to. Last year after camp, no one did anything to thank me (granted I did kind of leave the country 2 days later...), but this year at the end of camp, even after Andrés (Bible Home Asst. Director and Camp Director) encouraged all the campers to thank their X-70 (leaders) before leaving camp, nobody said anything to me. I didn't take it personally though.
But even cooler than this heart-covered rock was that Magaly offered to come and help me in the office on Mondays and Thursdays after she gets out of school (also at her mother's suggestion, but her execution!). So, I put her to work, and though it took a little while for the conversation to get going, she warmed up and told me a whole bunch of things about her life. That was really great. I didn't even realize it when 4 o'clock came and went!
Please continue to pray for my relationships with my campers and other kids from the Bible Home. I want them to see Jesus in me and help them get to know him better.
With great thankfulness to God and you,
Carrie

1 comment:

Heather's Journey said...

what an encouragement :)