Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tico Tuesday, July 2nd

The weirdest thing happened on Friday at the Bible study I help lead for parents and guardians. I was teaching the parents how to have a time of daily devotions with their kids and giving them some concrete ideas and object lessons they could easily pass along to their children. One of the object lessons included a toothbrush. If I haven't told you before, Costa Ricans have amazing toothbrushing habits. So as I started the object lesson, I said, "Toothbrushing is a great habit we ticos have." I stopped as soon as it came out. (Tico is the word Costa Ricans use to describe themselves.) I was shocked at myself for saying "we ticos" but I tried not to dwell on it and immediately rephrased my sentence to leave ticos impersonal, neither including nor excluding myself. Though I was trying to carry on as if nothing had happened, one dad stopped me and said, "Well, for me you're a tica. There's nothing wrong with you identifying yourself as one." The few other ticos I've shared this anecdote with have had similar responses. I think that just overwhelms me even more. Yes, people have been calling me la gringa más latina (most Latin white girl) they know for years now, but to have members of my host culture accept and see me as one of them? Wow... Pretty amazing, but I know there are still a lot of things about ticos I don't know or get. I do identify with them a lot though, and have decided I will be simultaneously happy and disappointed no matter what the outcome of the USA vs CR World Cup qualifying match here Sept. 6th, because I don't have to choose between the two. As I've been learning, there is beauty in the uncertainty.
Is it a good thing that people see me as a fellow tica? I believe so. The apostle Paul talked about becoming all things to all men, that some might be saved through his words and actions (1 Corinthians 9:22). My goal isn't for people to see me as a tica, but for them to see Jesus in me. May it be so, for me and for all of us who call Jesus Lord!
~Carrie

PS. Migration update: God continues to answer prayer! Tomorrow morning I am going to Migration for my resolution and to request an appointment for them to take my picture. I'd love to have that happen and have my new card in hand before I leave for a brief trip to the States next Weds the 10th! Please pray with me for it to happen! The disappointing news: with my new official status as a volunteer I'm no longer eligible for permanent residency. Oh well...

No comments: