Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bittersweet, Round 2

If you've been following my blog for a while (or if you skip back to October) you'll realize this isn't my first post on life and transitions being bittersweet. Well, here we go again. Another chapter is coming to a close and a brand new one is just on the horizon. The last several months here in Grove City have been amazing. I have gotten the refreshment I felt that I needed. I have strengthened and deepened many friendships, and I've even made some new friends that I will dearly miss. The community here has been such an incredible blessing to me. I have been overwhelmed by God's goodness and provision. He has taught me SO MUCH!!! I was blessed with a car, a job, places to live, and a strong network of friends and fellow believers. Plus, I have been able to attend church at Grace Anglican, one of my FAVORITE churches in the country. So yes, life here has been very good. I knew this was a temporary thing though (I'm not sure I could live here long term...but I don't think I need to think about that too much right now).
So, to COSTA RICA I GO!!! The last couple weeks have brought a few more reality checks and put me back on that roller coaster. Overall I have just been RIDICULOUSLY excited to go. And being excited is great. I should be. But, it is important to not lose sight of reality either. I know life down there will not be perfect. My Spanish is pretty darn good and though my friend Luciano sometimes forgets that I'm a gringa, I don't. I know I still have a lot to learn. Life won't always be easy and full of polka dots and butterflies. I'm going to be living in another country for 3 years!!! I spent 3 years living in West Virginia, then 3 in Massachusetts. 4 were spent in NJ and 4 (now a bit more) in Grove City. For me, 3 years is a long time to be somewhere!!! Wow!
I am excited to be at my church and see the people I know and serve them there. I am really looking forward to being immersed in Spanish and learning the culture and getting to know people better. I am a little nervous just because I don't know what exactly to expect. This whole missions office thing at my church down there is new for all of us, so please be in prayer for that. I know God is with me though and more than anything I want Him to be glorified. I am going to miss life here. But, like leaving the Tetons, I know eventually coming back here will be a hollow dream. All my underclassman friends are going to graduate by the time my 3 years end and I'm not sure I'm going to be back to Grove City any of the times I come back to the States over the next 3 years. I have really been trying to get to know more people at my church that actually live here so when I come back to visit I'll at least know them. We clearly don't have the same kind of relationship I've had with the other Grover students, but they are still really sweet people. There is going to be a prayer send-off for me at church tonight. I think it's going to be really beautiful. But, definitely bittersweet.
God is control and He is faithful. Here we go!!!

No comments: