Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My First (and second) Day of Work!

Oof. Yesterday was a very long day. I was planning on taking the bus from Sta Lucia (where Tito & Joanna live) to Heredia centro (the capital of my province, Heredia) and then another bus from there to San Joaquin (the town where church is, where the Vieras live and I studied abroad-my hometown). Well, the housekeeper girl came and Tito asked her is there was a more direct way I could get to San Joaquin. She said yes and that the bus only comes by 20 past the hour. It was close to 8:15, so Tito dropped me off at the bus stop. We confirmed with a man waiting there that there is indeed a bus that goes to San Joaquin from there. So I got out and began to wait. And wait. And wait. I asked another lady about the bus to San Joaquin and she said it came every 15 minutes. She had just seen one before she got to the bus stop. So that means I missed it. A few times.

Most of the buses here have signs in the window that say where they go, but not all of them do. Somehow you are supposed to magically catch on where the unlabeled ones go. So, after realizing I probably wasn't ever going to find the bus to San Joaquin, I hopped on a bus to Heredia centro and then to San Joaquin. I knew I was very late, but I was trying to be very tranquila about the whole thing. (I think I made a post about being tranquila a ways back). I figured my pastor would understand and everything would be fine. Stressing would do me no good. Well, apparently I missed a lot of a meeting I was supposed to be at. Oops. So when I got there I didn't have a clue what was going on and I was very confused and everyone was talking really fast. I love Spanish and am quite good at it, but yikes! I was more fully immersed yesterday than I had been in a really long time-probably since I was last here.

I ended up sitting around all afternoon in my office. They had me choose a temporary office because my official one is still under construction. A guy painted it for me-luckily he is a very nice (old) man whose daughter is a girl I know and hope to have as a good friend. He told me lots of stories and kept me entertained.

I got to talk very briefly again with Rolando (my Pastor), but we we didn't get into anything meaty. Then I did my homework for Bible Study last night. The study started 3 weeks ago, so I had to read the previous weeks' stuff to get caught up. Rolando has put together a really good study-kind of basic of the Bible kind of thing-that he wants all the people involved in leadership in the church to attend. There were over 30 people there last night! So, that was neat and I got to see a few more people I'd met in the past that I hadn't seen since arriving here last week.

I got home a little after 9pm. YUCK! 13 hours away from home! One thing I have realized about myself is that I like to spend time at home. At college I hated to be away from my dorm room all day. In the Tetons I hated being in the lodge all day and not going back to the employee village. Here, I don't want to be trapped in church all day. When I'm living with the Vieras it will be easier-I can walk home for lunch if I want. I don't need a ton of time at home, but it helps refresh me and not feel so busy or stressed. I think I was a little disappointed with the way things turned out yesterday. I was there all that time and didn't have any more definition to my job or have any better idea of what things will be like while I'm here.

But, thus far Day 2 has been MUCH better. First off, I rode in with Joanna because we went to a prayer meeting for women. There were 11 of us there. It was really beautiful. I already knew a few of the ladies and they are warriors! And for you IVers, Korean prayer does not just happen in Korea! At one point I looked up-and there was Dona Nelly!!!! She is a dear, sweet old lady that I met when I studied abroad here 2 years ago. She was there the night I had my break down and started crying in the middle of church. She came over to me and hugged me and told me that she'd been wanting to hug me ever since I entered the church. Awww!!! So pretty much from them on (March 2007) we sat together in church. And as I wrote somewhere recently (I can't remember where), I HATE sitting by myself in church. She was such a blessing to me!! Last year when I came to visit I think I asked about her, but I can't remember what people told me. I think they said she didn't come here anymore, or maybe they just didn't know who she was. But, I didn't think I would ever see her again. So, I was REALLY GLAD to see her this morning!!!

Also this morning I met with a lady named Milena that is in charge of all the ministries of the church. She went over some stuff with me and gave me some clarity, definition, and homework. I have a lot of praying, brainstorming, talking, and discerning to do. I am getting really excited about things here. My church here sadly has very limited knowledge and passion for missions. But, all the more room for God to work! I have a meeting this afternoon with Rolando that I think will be really helpful too. I have a lot of questions for him. I will be ready this time. :-)

No comments: