Sunday, March 1, 2009

New Lenses for Lent

I love Lent. That probably sounds weird-why would I be excited about a 40 day long penitential period? Because it's a chance to remember my humanity, my fallenness, my brokenness. I am a mere mortal who will one day fade like a flower in the wind and pass away. I don't often think about what a terrible person I am and how much my awfulness offends my Holy God. It's not something I think should be dwelt upon. Grace exists for a reason. God forgives and forgets, so I think it's ok for me to too. But, I think it is really important to remember my former dead state. Without it, the Gospel has no power. Jesus came to minister to the sick, not the healthy. And it's not really until after we've been healed and brought to new life that we even realize how nasty and dead we were.
So, Lent is this 40 day period before Easter to remember Jesus' 40 days in the desert and His temptation. It is a time to fast and to let God search our hearts and get rid of the junk in them. In the past I've typically done some kind of dietary related fast (no chocolate), but this year I was praying about it and wanted to do something different. So, God led me to giving up my contact lenses. I love my contacts. I typically wear them every day. When I was younger I couldn't wait to get contacts because I thought I looked SO much better without my glasses. I think they can be a source of vanity for me. So, no contacts.
But, God also got me thinking of the spiritual aspect of giving up my lenses. One of my prayers lately has been for God to give me His eyes and His heart for others. He has been answering that prayer, and I am continuing to pray it especially through this Lenten season --and beyond!!! I really do want God's eyes and heart, that I may see and love others as He does.
The song "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath puts it well:
"Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see"

One more thing I really like about Lent is that it only makes Resurrection Day seem even better!! (and it is already my FAVORITE day of the year)
Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

No comments: